Chilled Sweet Potato Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 C sweet potato (about 4 large potatoes), cubed
- 1 C sour cream
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/8 tsp. dill
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 C celery, chopped
- 1/2 C sweet pickles, chopped
- 2/3 C sweet onion (Vidalia, Bermuda, Spanish red or other variety), chopped
- Crisp salad greens, rinsed and drained
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the cubed sweet potatoes until they are tender but still offer some resistance when pierced with a fork, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, celery seed, dill, paprika, pepper and salt, and mix to combine. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cooled sweet potatoes, celery, pickles and onion.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of the sour cream dressing to the potato mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least until thoroughly chilled. Turn chilled salad out onto a bed of greens, spoon the reserved dressing over the top and serve.