Sweet Potato Pie
makes 8 to 10 servings
- -*Pastry Pie Dough (see below)
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled and drained and mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- Blind bake tart shell for 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients thoroughly. Pour sweet potato mixture into tart shell and return to 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes or until center is set.
Pastry Pie Dough
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 12 ounces cold diced butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup ice water
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and salt and pulse until the mixture is very coarse. Pour the flour/butter into a large bowl and add the ice water. Pour out onto a clean, flat surface into a large log.
- Using the palm of your hand, gently push and pull the mixture to form it into a dough. Do not knead, you are just slightly manipulating it.
recipe from: foodtv.com, 11/05/03