- Simmer sugar, water, bay leaves, and zests in a 1-quart heavy saucepan 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let steep 20 minutes.
- While syrup steeps, halve apricots lengthwise and remove pits. Run a paring knife crosswise around each cherry, touching pit, then twist cherry halves to separate. Remove pits with tip of knife.
- Toss apricots and cherries with lemon juice in a large shallow bowl. Return syrup to a boil, then pour over fruit, tossing to coat. Cover and let stand, stirring occasionally, at least 30 minutes. Put 1/3 cup yogurt on each of 6 plates and serve with fruit.
* Apricots and cherries can stand in syrup up to 2 hours (cherries will start to discolor after that time).
* Bay-leaf syrup can be made 3 days ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Bring to a boil before tossing with apricots and cherries.
recipe from: epicurious.com, 7/10/05